Sunday, February 14, 2010

Leadership! Where I want to be.

Now that I have concluded the graduate level leadership course I understand how to be a better leader, a better follower, what to look for in a leader, and the steps to take to keep progressing my leadership. Seeing as how I have just recently completed my undergraduate education, in May of 2008, in Mass Communication with an emphasis in Recording Industry Music Business and with a minor in entrepreneurship, I would like to start a career in those fields. I realized that continuing my education would benefit in becoming more successful with those career choices so that’s why at 23 years of age I decided to pursue a Masters Degree in Business Administration with an emphasis in Marketing. Within the next three years I plan on having a successful thriving business which I have already embarked upon, while also being known as one of the top, youngest artist managers in the entertainment industry.

In June 2008, one of my good friends, and now business partner, was issued a traffic citation by the Murfreesboro Police Department for speeding. A week prior to that his fiancé was issued a speeding citation by the Nashville Police Department, but she had the luxury of being able to go to traffic school to keep the ticket from going on her record. I suggested to my friend that he call Murfreesboro and also go to traffic school, and what he told me next would change both of our lives, hopefully forever. He said Murfreesboro does not have one and I hastily responded by saying I am going to start one. My main reason for taking this leadership course is because of my business. I am really pleased that I did because of the fact that leadership development is accomplished through experience, education, and self-awareness. Seeming difficult and somewhat out of reach for someone my age to start a traffic school, I reached out to someone. From taking knowledge gain in this class, he word be considered a mentor, the owner of the Nashville Traffic School. Also from this leadership course, I have found out what kind of leader I am, and my strongest qualities that will help me in my traffic school, Fast Forward Traffic School.

I feel as though I am a charismatic leader, but in a positive manner. My belief in myself really impressed my partner and got him on board to start the venture with me. When my business partner and I go to meet with the judges and city officials to start the business, they are naturally impressed by how I present myself and my charm and grace. From this course I learn the importance of credibility and that is something I lack as far as starting a business, so to make up for the lack of credibility I wanted this course to help me become a stronger motivator/inspirational leader. I really need that specific skill to motivate the “gatekeepers” to believe in me even though the credibility may be scarce. At this current time, the business is on an upward spiral and I plan on using all of the leadership skills that I have learned in this course to get my business off the ground, and within the next year and a half I want Fast Forward Traffic School to have a gross profit of $350,000 due to my leadership.

As I stated in the first paragraph, I want to be one of the top and youngest artist managers in the entertainment industry. An artist manager is essentially the leader of an individual’s career. In order for me to do this I not only need experience, but as I learned from this course I also need education. The key is being a great listener because as an artist manager I will be the driving force of their career and I have to understand where the artist wants to go with there career. While taking this course I have added an artist to my roster by the name of Pule’. He told me that he feels as if I am a superior leader so far, and I think the reasoning behind this is because now I understand how to be a great leader by understanding the follower and adapting to different situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment