Friday, February 19, 2010

ARTIST MANAGEMENT

I have always wanted to be an artist manager. That is the main reason why I came to Middle Tennessee State University. Music is my passion, and has been that way every since I can remember. It is the universal language, and it speaks to your soul. Everybody can communicate their feelings and emotion through song. Combining my passion with my skill, music and entrepreneurship, I came up with the career choice of artist management. I look up to Sean “P. Diddy” Combs, Russell Simmons, and Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter. Theses are all successful label heads now, and that is essentially where I would like to end up. Generally speaking a manager’s job is to anything necessary to further the career of the artist-client. An artist manager is a coordinator, advisor, negotiator, coach, psychologist, planner, promoter, baby-sitter, booking agent, and a friend to the artist. A manager must be on call 24 hours a day, but an artist manager is 25/8. They must be aware of what is going on in the artist’s professional and personal life. The manager is the focal point of hundreds of decision made daily. The manager’s judgment and ability to make the right decision at the right time can spell the difference between stardom and what might have been.

I had a great professor at Middle Tennessee State University, Paul Allen. He taught artist management as well as wrote the text book. He offered a lot of insight and advice.



Now I have started an independent record label, Pype Dreamz Muzic. We currently have one artist, Pulé. I hope to turn PDMG into the next RocNation or Bad Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment