Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hallmark Invitation to Success

The knowledge community of Hallmark Cards is initiated by the company and membership is by invitation. Would this "top-down" approach to the community development cause any problem in achieving its effectiveness? Discuss.

I actually feel that the top down approach that Hallmark took to invite people did them justice and did not harm them at all. All of the individuals that were invited by Hallmark had the opportunity to decline the invitation. I feel as though Hallmark thought if they invited individuals and they excepted the invitation then they must have some interest in the well being of Hallmark. Plus there was no reward for participating in the community, but there were incentives on contributions. The only troubles I see is that Hallmark may have been a tad bit bias in facilitating the community. It may have been a better idea for them to get some one else to either sponsor the community or facilitate, but I don't feel that Hallmark should have done both. I think that Hallmark, even after these factors, will not become any less effective and the community to me seem to be an ultimate success.

3 comments:

  1. I agree. Hallmark probably should not have been the facilitor. Hopefully, they were able to keep the bias to a minimum. I also agree that I don't think Hallmark would be any less effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point!There are other companies doing just what both of you suggest: find an external champion to lead and fuel the passion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that some third person should have been the facilitator like Dr. Jih said -- they should have found an external champion to lead and fuel the passion. I

    ReplyDelete